Become a fan of thekingfishmenu on facebook.

Search "thekingfishmenu" on your facebook search bar and become a fan of thekingfishmenu to get updates on posts and recipes.

Monday, August 30, 2010

And the Beat Goes On....


Take Away - Commander's Palace Turtle Soup

As my 20's ran into my 30's, there are a variety of things that I have done and not done.  There are also a variety of things I still need and want to do.  I'm just glad that I decided to base out of New Orleans to do, not do, need to do and want to do . . .them all. 


Yesterday, a person living anywhere in the country could turn on any given channel to see recaps of what happened 5 years ago.  Everyone had a story about where they were, where they evacuated to, what sort of damage they had, etc.  I chose not to watch.  I no longer care to. . .  

Having the good fortune to return to the Crescent City, I can only say that I no longer want to focus on images of water, x-marks, sadness or drama.  I think that stories and recaps can be cathartic, but on this particular issue, they no longer are for me. 

I was taught that it is impolite to point or stare at a lady when she stumbles, albeit briefly.  One should simply reach out and help her back up if close enough to assist, and then act like nothing happened.  Thus, for me, there is no need to dwell on the cliché stories that brought me to the 5th year after my city took a stumble and began to collect herself anew.

Instead, yesterday, I looked at pictures of what I would have missed had I not returned to do my small part in assisting the lady to regain her footing.  I thank God for the opportunity to have these images of things that I was able to realize as a result of sticking with my lady after she got back on her feet.



Had I not stayed here, there are new people that I would have never been able to meet and friends that I would have missed out on...


There are Jazz Fests that would have been unheard and under-consumed....


There are Mardi Gras and St. Patrick's Day celebrations that would have been uncaught....



There are Superbowl Championship spawned French Quarter celebrations that would have been too impromptu to attend . . .


There is the love that would have been undiscovered. . .  


I would say that there are a great deal of opportunities, events, moments and images that would have been undocumented and unmemorable. . .

 

I'm just grateful that I was here to see, hear and touch them all.  I'm still proud to call it home. . .


Recipe side note:

Saturday night I went to dinner at Commander's Palace with my sister, dad and Mollie.  For an appetizer I ordered the trio of soups.  Saturday evening's trio included duck and sausage gumbo, soft shell crab bisque and Commander's famous turtle soup.  As I started on the turtle soup, it occurred to me that there is really nothing more traditional and delicious (recipe-wise) that I could have been eating in light of this 5th year anniversary. 

Turtle Soup

10 ounces (2-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 pound turtle meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup minced celery (4 stalks)
2 medium onions, minced (2 medium)
1-1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
3 bay leaves
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1-1/2 cups tomato purée
1 quart beef stock NOTE: If turtle bones are available, add them to the beef bones when making the stock for this dish
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, as needed
1/2 cup lemon juice
5 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
1 tablespoon minced parsley
6 teaspoons dry sherry

Melt 8 ounces (2 sticks) butter in a heavy saucepan. Add the flour and cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until the roux is light brown. Set aside.

In a 5-quart saucepan, melt the remaining butter and add turtle meat. Cook over high heat until the meat is brown. Add celery, onions, garlic and seasonings, and cook until the vegetables are transparent.
Add tomato purée, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the stock and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the roux and cook over low heat, stirring, until the soup is smooth and thickened. Correct seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Add lemon juice, eggs and parsley.
Remove from heat and serve. At the table, add 1 teaspoon sherry to each soup plate.

2 comments:

  1. Such a great post. I couldn't have said it better myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back atcha Jennifer, but who is the lady that keeps falling?

    ReplyDelete