Become a fan of thekingfishmenu on facebook.

Search "thekingfishmenu" on your facebook search bar and become a fan of thekingfishmenu to get updates on posts and recipes.

Monday, August 2, 2010

Sabrage! It's not just for Napoleon anymore...

"Sabrage" is a technique for opening a champagne bottle with a sword or saber.  The saber is slid along the body of the bottle toward the neck. The force of the blade hitting the lip breaks the glass to separate the collar from the neck of the bottle. The cork and collar remain together after separating from the neck. 


The technique became popular in France when Napoleon visited many of the aristocratic domains his army overtook.  The saber was the weapon of choice of Napoleon's fearsome cavalry, and the victories across all of Europe gave them plenty of reason to celebrate...thus, "Sabrage"


To be honest, watching a demonstration of this extremely historic technique was not exactly what I envisioned to get my weekend started.  With no weddings or huge events going on, I told Mollie that I was looking forward to a quiet weekend around the house....fortunately, that did not happen. 

On Friday, after making good time from Baton Rouge to New Orleans, I called my friend, Walt Leger, who agreed to join me for a drink at the Polo Club Lounge at Windsor Court Hotel.


To those of you not familiar, Windsor Court is a highly rated and fantastic all suite hotel in New Orleans.  However, to me, the standout feature is the bar.  The Polo Lounge is without question one of the best spots to land on a Friday afternoon.  Though smoking is no longer allowed, the place makes you feel like you are in a palatial sized cigar lounge, complete with high end furnishings and service. 

Of course, Walt and I were not adverse to the large comfortable chairs featured througout the lounge since neither one of us makes a habit of skipping many meals.  Shortly after we sat down, Judge Ron Sholes joined us.  The three of us talked about food, our families, politics and anything else that hit the conversation buffet.  Mollie and State Senator Eric Lafleur eventually joined us, and the good conversation continued to flow freely.

Mollie, Walt Leger and Judge Sholes

HOWEVER, after a while, we all became distracted by one of the hotel patrons asking the hotel manager if they still allow people to engage in "sabrage."  The manager replied, "Of course!"

My immediate thoughts were: 

#1 What is sabrage?

#2 Why do people speak as if they are characters on an episode of Dynasty when referring to it?

#3 Will I be able to witness this "sabrage?"

Questions 1 and 3 were immediately answered when a large kitchen knife appeared and the sabrage immediately commenced.  I must say that I was pretty impressed by both the technique and the fact that no eyes or fingers were lost.  I have included some pictures for your viewing pleasure.




I ask that you indulge me for this one entry, as I am providing you with a drink recipe that Mollie loves (champagne cocktail).  I promise to make up for it by adding another entry tomorrow, which will cover a food recipe from our Saturday evening.

 Champagne Cocktail

  • 1 dash of angostura bitters

  • 1 sugar cube

  • Cold, dry champagne

  • Twist of lemon peel
Drop a sugar cube in the bottom of a chilled champagne flute.  Add a dash of bitters to the sugar cube in the bottom of the flute.  Let soak for about 20 seconds.  Slowly pour in the champagne. Garnish with the lemon peel.

1 comment:

  1. oooh looove a champagne cocktail! it reminds me so much of casablanca!

    ReplyDelete